#41 Courtney Upshaw LB, Alabama
12 career starts entering 2011, appeared in 40 games
Early season ankle sprain kept him limited in 2 games in 2010.
After the devastating tornadoes hit Alabama this spring, Upshaw started “The 41 Fund” to help victims.
In the summer of 2009, he and his girlfriend were arrested on a misdemeanor charge of domestic violence and third-degree harassment. The incident happened two years ago and he hasn’t had any other issues come up. Nevertheless, it’s something teams will be asking him about at the combine and in private interviews.
Played with his hand on the ground in 4-3 alignments and at outside linebacker in 3-4s.
2008: 22 TCK 3 TFL 2 PBU
2009: 15 TCK 1 SCK 2 FR
2010: 52 TCK 7 SCK 14.5 TFL 3 FF
Projected round (as of 8/28/2011): 1st round
Draft Stock Chart will appear here in the coming months.
- Still relatively inexperienced, but his senior season could prove to show just how good he can be (has a lot of potential).
- Has showed good pass rush skills, whether he’s lined up at linebacker or defensive end.
- Good size for the position and won’t have to add a ton in order to be big enough for draft evaluations.
- Good strength.
- Cut blocks get him down too often.
- Doesn’t always get his arms out to keep blocker off of himself. Other times, he’ll do a great job of extending his arms and using his quick, strong hands to get past blockers.
- Shelled out some big hits in what I’ve watched of him and is known for his hard-hitting play.
- Does a good job of getting to blockers’ outside shoulder, getting around him and into the backfield.
- Quick off the snap.
- Doesn’t look all that comfortable in pass coverage.
- Shows good effort and relentlessness almost all the time.
- Seems to really play his best in big games.
- Shows very good vision and ability to find the ball.