#4 Mark Barron SS, Alabama
2009 1st Team All-SEC & 3rd Team All-American
2010 1st Team All-SEC & FWAA 1st Team All-American
Arrested March 2011 for hindering prosecution (second degree misdemeanor). He was covering for his cousin who left the scene of a car crash, so nothing serious. In some eyes, it could be seen as sticking up for his family, but in others it could be seen as a major character concern since he lied to the police.
In November 2010 he had surgery to repair a torn pectoral muscle.
2008: 15 TCK 1 SCK 1.5 TFL
2009: 74 TCK .5 SCK 3.5 TFL 7 INT 11 PBU
2010: 77 TCK 2 SCK 2 TFL 3 INT 6 PBU
Projected round (as of 8/30/2011): 2nd round
Draft Stock Chart will appear here in the coming months.
- Excellent size and strength for a safety prospect.
- Good speed as well.
- Has shown that he has good hands for getting interceptions.
- Has a reputation as a hard-hitting safety.
- “In the box safety” which means he’s best at coming up against the run and being the 8th man in the box to help against the run.
- Team leader on defense for Alabama.
- Don’t believe what you read about his game in the regular season finale against Auburn last year. He was playing with a torn pectoral muscle, which he had surgery to repair.
- He has the size to defend bigger pass receivers, but he doesn’t possess great fluidity and is a little stiff in his hips.
- Barron’s awareness and field positioning could improve a bit, but most of the time he’s in the right position.
- Good secure tackler.
- Takes good angles when going to ball (in air or on the ground).